The person who procrastinates about other things while writing this drivel is

Monday, September 05, 2011

My 1952 Butterick Walk Away Dress!

Having long admired the classic Butterick Walk Away dress pattern, I was thrilled when Katrina of Edelweiss Patterns offered her expertise in leading a sew along! I already owned the pattern, having snapped it up in a Butterick buying frenzy back in July when Joann's had Butterick patterns for 99 cents each.

Finding the fabric was fun! I could see possibilities in so many prints. I knew I wanted to model the dress with my 1950s pumps, so black was a key color. I also wanted inexpensive fabric because I have not sewn garments since about 1994. I'm a little rusty! I found this black/white/red cotton bandanna print at Affordable Textiles, 531 Queen Street West, Toronto for $2.99/yd.

I'm pretty happy with the way it came out! Following Katrina's instructions, I modified the pattern and ended up with a bodice that really, really fits! A crinoline would really provide the structure that defines the 1950's silhouette.

Living in Lucille Ball's hometown, I knew just where I wanted to take my pictures. This is one of many murals that decorates our buildings.

Thank you, Katrina, for your tutorial and leadership! You provided me with the incentive to finally make this fun and lovely pattern. I hope to make it again in a dressy version!





4 comments:

Katrina - Edelweiss Patterns said...

That is just gorgeous! I absolutely love the 1950s print, and the I Love Lucy mural in the background is the perfect place to have your pictures taken! I can hardly think of a better 1950s location. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Katrina

Vintage Sewing said...

It looks Lovely on you ! I have to agree with Katrina the Lucile mural s a beautiful background.Nice fit !

Jeri said...

Your dress looks fantastic! I think the contrasting bias tape looks really good on cottons, though I see how Katrina would think it looked "home-made" on dressier fabrics. I'm still working on mine. I'm getting back into sewing after about 25 years--this is the first dress I've made since 1986!

Anonymous said...

Does your website have a contact page? I'm having problems locating it but, I'd like to shoot you an e-mail.
I've got some suggestions for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it develop over time.

Here is my web-site buy genf20 plus